How to create Manjaro Live USB from Linux

On my previous Manjaro Tutorial, I have shown how to create Manjaro Live USB from Windows 10 using Rufus program. And now, I will show you how to create Manjaro Live USB from Linux system. I am using Ubuntu 16.04 to create this Live USB.
create manjaro live usb from linux

Requirements

Make sure you have the following items in hand:
  • Manjaro ISO
  • 4GB or larger USB Flash Disk (USB 3.0 is highly recommended)
  • A running Linux OS
  • A little knowledge of Terminal commands

Steps to create Manjaro Live USB from Linux

Step 1. Plug USB Flash Disk

Plug your USB flash disk to any USB ports on your computer.

Step 2. Open Terminal

Open Terminal and cd to the directory where Manjaro ISO is located. For example, in my case, my ISO is in /home/dhani/Downloads directory.
cd /home/dhani/Downloads

Step 2. Create Live USB

Now execute this command to start copying files to the USB flash drive.
sudo dd bs=4M if=manjaro-deepin-16.08-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress
Change the text in red with your own. /dev/sdc is my USB flash drive drive letter. You can find out which one is yours by executing fdisk command below
sudo fdisk -l
Output:
Disk /dev/sdc: 7.2 GiB, 7776239616 bytes, 15187968 sectorsUnits: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytesSector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytesI/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytesDisklabel type: dosDisk identifier: 0x5b45e23c
When the copying process is completed, reboot your computer and boot it from the new Manjaro Live USB. 

5 comments

Thanks for these clear and simple directions. Startup Disk Creator on both Ubuntu (Gnome) and Kubuntu (KDE) wouldn't load the Manjaro ISO, so I was puzzled. I'm now installing onto an 8GB USB key.

This comment has been removed by the author.

It didn't work for me, until I've changed this:
bs=4M to bs=1M
The process took a little bit longer, but the boot ocurred like a charm :)
My USB stick is a generic one with 4GB capacity.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Nice Article.

Also check out a method to Install a Persistent and Portable Manjaro Linux on a Flash Drive at https://www.techsolveprac.com/manjaro-on-flash-drive/


EmoticonEmoticon